FIND MBA - MBA Programs Wordwide

MBA Discussion Board

MBA Discussion Board > USA > MBA in Fashion Management RSS Feed

MBA in Fashion Management

anand1u
Wed Apr 30, 2008 05:52 AM
Hi, i wanted to know are there any universities in USA offering a full time 2 year course in Fashion Management, which are the best universities that do so??

[Edited by Admin on 30 Apr 2008]

Show ProfileProfile P.M. Quote
lukeh
Thu May 01, 2008 10:41 AM
This topic has been discussed before on the board. I don't know if the following is of any help. Although some of it relates primarily to the UK and Europe, there's a lot of information in there which might be of use.

www.find-mba.com/board/5759/last/#last

www.find-mba.com/board/6227

www.find-mba.com/board/5931

www.find-mba.com/board/3931
anand1u
Fri May 02, 2008 02:29 PM
hie lukeh!! thank you u so much for the immediate reply, you provided me with a lot of information, it will certainly help, thanks a lot... actually i had a new query, i have posted it with the subject of Work Experience, u will get to know my story, just check it out..
york
Sat May 03, 2008 07:43 PM
Copy/paste of another post by fashion expert lukeh (from www.find-mba.com/board/6455 ):

...First of all, don't worry about having missed a year or two - I really don't think that matters. And if anyone asks, just explain your circumstances. No problem.

I've just had a bit of a look around at various schools' websites re. previous work experience. None of them really say too much on this issue. A good GMAT score is obviously going to be an advantage, but it's not the be all and end all. Fashion schools and fashion-related programmes tend to be a little more catholic (with a small 'c'), in their admissions. They are more likely to be interested in what you might be able to do than what you've already done.

That being said, some knowledge of fashion and the industry is essential. I would approach the issue in the following ways:

1) Read, read, read. Get your hands on all the important international fashion magazines as often as you can, and familiarise yourself with what's going on, who's important, who's being talked about. Supplement these with more local interest and underground magazines. A good NYC example would be Cheap Date magazine (www.cheapdatemagazine.com/). Others might include Marmalade (www.marmalademag.com/), Useless magazine (www.uselessmagazine.com/), Fantastic Man (www.fantasticmanmagazine.com/), Pop (www.myspace.com/popsuperglossy), Wallpaper (www.wallpaper.com), Dazed and Confused (www.dazeddigital.com), and Vice (vice.typepad.com/vice_magazine/).

2) If you know where you want to study, get to know the local fashion scene. What are people talking about? What are people wearing? Who are the upcoming young designers? Where are people shopping?

3) Try to get some sort of work experience, however small. This could be an internship at a fashion house, a design company, a magazine. Pitch some writing to a magazine, or just start your own blog. Bear in mind, though, that you should be able to accumulate more work experience either during or after your course.

Lastly, since you say you might consider the UK as well as the US, here's a couple of links which might be handy. In particular, have a look at the section of new courses for 2008 on the London College of Fashion site.

www.fashion.arts.ac.uk/

www.fitnyc.edu/html/dynamic.html

[Edited by Admin on 15 Jun 2008]

lukeh
Sun May 04, 2008 01:46 PM
Ha! "Fashion expert"! I'm not sure if that's a compliment or what....?
york
Sun May 04, 2008 05:59 PM
:-)

Just impressed that you know all these fashion magazines...
kelly gilbert
Sat Jun 14, 2008 09:30 PM
You might want to check out this well-known program in New York. I know students who have studied at FIT and they are all doing quite well now. (nb - I don't believe it's an MBA though)

www.fitnyc.edu/aspx/Content.aspx?menu=Future:SchoolsAndProgr…

[Edited by kelly gilbert on 14 Jun 2008]

lukeh
Sun Jun 15, 2008 04:49 PM
Oh Kelly, I posted a link to FIT AGES ago. Glad to hear my hunch was alright, though.

[Edited by lukeh on 15 Jun 2008]

kelly gilbert
Sun Jun 15, 2008 07:20 PM
Well, that's why you're the 'fashion expert'...
megafan
Sat Sep 04, 2010 06:26 PM
hello,
was browsing through the forums and am really glad to see this thread.i am keen on doing a masters in fashion management or a mba in the same field .ive done a bachelors in computer science and sent polimoda a mail describing my profile.they havent yet replied back.i ll be taking the gmat this november.Will a good gmat score at least get me into a fashion school.I know the easiest way would be to maybe work for some time in the fashion field but i m not keen on doing that atleast for now.any help would be really appreciated.thanks.

p.s: mba in general management and then maybe start looking out for an opening in a fashion company thats plan b:)
Malia
Sun Sep 05, 2010 09:08 AM
As afar as I know, Polimoda does not offer an MBA program: www.polimoda.com/en/the-courses.html

Or are you talking about the "Master in Fashion Trend Forecasting" (what the heck is that good for?).
megafan
Sun Sep 05, 2010 06:25 PM
no polimoda offers a masters in brand management..that or an mba in fashion management from maybe some other school..
Evan2007
Mon Sep 06, 2010 03:40 PM
There are at least 8 business schools around the world offering MBAs in Fashion Management:
www.find-mba.com/search/98e8158d/1

martina
Thu Oct 07, 2010 06:08 AM
Hey, i would like to also start an MBA in Fashion Management and found a great programm at the FU Berlin, however i wanted to ask if it makes sense to start an internship at a fashion label like Luxury Fashion Berlin before doing the MBA, would it actually make sense before the mba or after it?

[Edited by Admin on 07 Oct 2010]

ArunS
Thu Oct 07, 2010 08:44 PM
I didn't know FU Berlin has an MBA in Fashion Management. I thought they don't offer an MBA at all. Could you post a link please?
Malia
Thu Dec 02, 2010 06:50 AM
MODSPE Fashion Business School in Paris has a specialized MBA program in International Fashion Brand Management.

[Edited by Malia on 02 Dec 2010]

Iva
Tue Jan 18, 2011 05:42 PM
hey,
can somebody tell me what did you heard about LIM MBA program in NY?

thank you in advanced
cheers!!!
Fri Feb 04, 2011 06:24 AM
Hey Guys!!!
Just happened to stumble upon this thread n looks like what i've bin hunting for... :)
Does anyone has ANY idea about LIM MBA in NYC.. It's a one year MBA in Fashion Management... Sounds interesting but dont have any idea about their market reputation..Heard they are gud with their internships n placements... dunno how far is this true....
Anyyy kind of inputs will be reallly helpful as I am super confused rt now..

Thanks a bunch!!!
trtorch
Tue Mar 01, 2011 09:49 AM
Hi,

I am new to this forum and I need some info regarding MBA in fashion manement in Europe. I am currently in London and have GMAT of 630. Though I have tried hard and am not able to reach more than that. Would it be possible to get in into top 20 schools and which schools shouldi target. I know Bucconi does some courses , but do I have any chance of getting admit there. I have 8 years of work experiend in IT consulting and want to move into fashion industry.

Experts please advice.

Cheers.
A

[Edited by trtorch on 01 Mar 2011]

Iva
Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:31 AM
hey,
you have very good chances. 630 is high score, and 8 years of experience is a lot!
i know one person who got into Bocconi with 350 so... :)

good luck!
trtorch
Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:17 PM
Hi

Thanks a lot.

Can you suggest some more collges which i can target.
As I have no experience in Fashion Industry. Would it e possible to get admit in colleges.

Cheers
A
Tropic
Fri Mar 11, 2011 05:55 PM
Try looking into these schools for fashion management :

MODSPE Paris, Fashion Business School
www.modspeparis.com

Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers in Paris,
www.cnam.fr/

University of the Arts London - London College of Fashion
www.fashion.arts.ac.uk

ISEM - Fashion Business School
www.isem.es

Alain
Sat Mar 12, 2011 07:53 AM
Does anyone know where fashion companies hire the most MBA graduates?
cheers!!!
Sat Jun 25, 2011 02:39 AM
Hey Guys!!!

I have an interview call from Emlyon for IMBA & MSc in Luxury Marketing Mabagement.
Any kind of help & guidance will be sincerely appreciated. School feedbacks, interview tips, course recognition & placement reviews.
I have 4 yrs of experience in the retail industry from india n I am currently in New York.
Not sure if i should go for MBA or MS... n is Emlyon the right choice. My GMAT score is 610 :(
joanna.magee1
Fri Jul 08, 2011 04:10 PM
hey guys can anyone tell me whether fashion houses hire general MBA's. i have completed masters but want to change my profile. and what is the scope, growth in fashion management & what type of work is done in this.

[Edited by joanna.magee1 on 08 Jul 2011]

Related Articles

MBA Programs in Design and the Arts
More business schools are catering their programs to creative people - not just their managers.
By V. Wish
Indulge Yourself: MBA Programs in Luxury Management
How a specialized program in luxury can help you tap into a growing market
By M. Filtz

More Articles

Related Blog Posts

Interview: Paola Cillo of SDA Bocconi
From her vantage point in Milan, a marketing professor sees her field as increasingly tied to innovation.

Go to FIND MBA Blog