FIND MBA - MBA Programs Wordwide

MBA Discussion Board

MBA Discussion Board > USA > MBA New York RSS Feed

MBA New York

G3XL
MBA New York
Sun Mar 11, 2007 05:42 AM
This is regarding some earlier posts about NYC business schools, before the moderator of this board decided to move this post here:

What's happening in terms of the perception of local MBA programs is that relative comparisons are becoming more difficult, and perceived differences between certain schools are beginning to narrow. For example, Columbia's edge over NYU is slowly eroding in part, due to the fact that Stern is further entrenching itself, as a leader in finance and investment valuation. And on a national scale, its finance curriculum is comparable to those of Chicago and Wharton. The same thing is happening between Fordham and St. John's: The Tobin College of Business is moving sharply into "Risk, Financial Engineering, and Investment Management" through its School of Risk Management. With the exception of leveraging its Economics Dept., Fordham does not have the infrastructure to currently compete with St. John's in the more quantitative disciplines related to finance and the strategic management of risk. One of Fordham's perceived strengths is in media, which St. John's cannot presently match in terms of geographical and industry-connected resources. If you compare faculty backgrounds, you'll see a few Fordham finance Profs. with MBAs from St. John's, but not the equivalent in reverse. Back then, Fordham was clearly the 3rd strongest program behind Columbia and NYU. This is not the standard perception now, as more applicants are comparing St. John's to Fordham and vice versa. I would still rank St. John's as the third strongest MBA program behind Columbia and NYU Stern (you can search Stern's web site to see one reason why I make this remark), even if only for the reason that they made more improvements to its program, since 2000 than its regionally ranked competitors. Also, considering the high trade rates between the two schools (St. John's and Fordham); people are more interested in the best fit for them, concerning each school's relative strengths.

[Edited by G3XL on 12 Apr 2007]

Show ProfileProfile P.M. Quote
G3XL
MBA New York
Sat Apr 21, 2007 05:54 PM
Now, this response is for poster (Copernicus), and his comments (more specifically his rant about St. John's) concerning the following schools:

These are the facts.

St. John's SAT Median Average for Incoming Freshman: 1190
Fordham CBA SAT Median Average for Incoming Freshman: 1178 (1210-1215, see Note)
Hofstra SAT Median Average for Incoming Freshman: 1169

Note: These are real 50% percentile median averages, and this information is with best efforts updated, although I believe that Fordham's current average is something like 1210 or 1215. Hofstra's and Fordham's information was verified through their own sites and BusinessWeek, while St. John's information was verified through the University of South Florida.

St. John's School of Law Bar Pass Rate for 2007: 91% (4th highest bar pass rate in NYS)
Fordham Law Bar Pass Rate for 2007: 90% (5th highest bar pass rate in NYS)
Hofstra Law Bar Pass Rate for 2007: 71% (lowest bar pass rate in NYS)

St. John's P/T GMAT Average for Incoming Students: 540 (Acceptance rate: 63%)
Fordham P/T GMAT Average for Incoming Students: 567 (Acceptance rate: 69%)
Hofstra P/T GMAT Average for Incoming Students: 524 (Acceptance rate: 72%)

I hope this helps prospective students considering these schools' part time business programs.
copernicus

MBA New York
Thu May 03, 2007 11:31 PM

median average? is that a new statistical measure? verified through the univ of South Florida???

why dont you just pick up a copy of US NEWS America's best colleges and see the REAL NUMBERS....

Fordham is by far the superior school of out those 3.
As for Hofstra and St Johns its a toss up, with Hofstra having better future potential. These are the facts period.

[Edited by copernicus on 03 May 2007]

G3XL
MBA New York
Fri May 04, 2007 10:43 PM
I suggest you learn what a "median average" is before applying to business school (Hint: It's the average of two middle numbers in a range characterized by an even number of values). The University of South Florida is a major research institution that has better access to audited admissions information for its Big East counterparts than the general public.

US News doesn't update all its ranking figures for every single school, as some institutions report for the given year, while others may not report at all. So it may use prior information to fill the gaps, if those areas are not left blank. Therefore, it pays to use multiple sources of reference sometimes.

Did you say "by far the superior school"? Well not according to the reported figures. St. John's P/T MBA program has a lower acceptance rate than Fordham, plus the GMAT spread is only 27-30 points, according to Peterson's and AllbusinessSchools.com. Both schools (yes St. John's and Fordham) have the highest trade rates with each other, according to federal government statistics on financial aid. Hofstra needs to get its bar passage rate up, before pundits talk about future potential. If it keeps coming in last place, there won't be any future, let alone potential.

Did you say "toss up"? Reread my post of what someone had to say about those schools on another board. That individual went to Rutgers and Syracuse, and made it brutally clear that St. John's has "by far" the better academic reputation. Again, the NYSSA (New York Society of Securities Analysts) held its 5th Annual Investment Research Challenge, in which St. John's made it to the final round along with Big East counterparts, Rutgers and Seton Hall. That other school in Hempstead, Long Island has never been invited once to join what the NYSSA calls "the field of eight top area business schools", which includes St. John's.

Next time, put your money where your mouth is before you attempt to cite what you can't reference.
ppr
MBA New York
Fri May 11, 2007 08:10 AM
NYSSA
2007, 5 the annual

1st stage
CUNY
Columbia
Fordham
NYU
Pace
Rutgers
Seton
St. John’s
Yale

2nd stage
CUNY
Fordahm
NYU
Pace
Rutgerts
Seton
St. John's

Final
1st. Seton Hall
2nd. Rutgerts
3rd. Pace
4th. St. john's

Calamar
MBA New York
Mon May 28, 2007 07:12 AM

Final
1st. Seton Hall
2nd. Rutgerts
3rd. Pace
4th. St. john's

If you plan to choose an MBA program on the basis of the NYSSA results: Good luck!

[Edited by Calamar on 28 May 2007]

AnalystNYC
MBA New York
Tue May 29, 2007 01:04 PM
There are obviously 2 big time B-Schools in the NYC area
Columbia and NYU

After that there are CUNY, Fordham, Hofstra, Pace, St Johns in no particular order.

It is impossible to say which school is the best in the second group. One thing you can NOT do is listen to their alumni, they will tell you its the next up and coming god knows what. In reality what you need to do is research!
check out who recruits on campus, facilities, try to email professors in specialty of your interest. Some of these schools have MBAs in hard to find specialties which may get you a nice job after graduation.

[Edited by AnalystNYC on 29 May 2007]

G3XL
MBA New York
Mon Jun 04, 2007 08:12 PM
Thanks for your constructive reply, AnalystNYC. Actually, this debate came from another thread, so I decided to end matters here. My initial argument was that St. John's and Fordham are competitive with each other, which is obviously an agreed upon consensus in the local NYC market (Columbia and NYU are the only 2 nationally recognized programs, thus far). What I find, in particular about the 2nd group is that each one is jockeying for elevated strategic position, and some are working harder than others in specified areas of academic and recruiting concern. Media ranking information cannot give one the full story; all candidates have to look for themselves to find the appropriate selection that best suits them.

Unfortunately, your advice is not widely taken, for the reason that some feel that rankings are the end all, be all of bschool evaluation. But again, there is some glaring evidence that some schools are working a lot harder and smarter than others within that second group you mention, and outside investigation and analysis reveal some sharp insights. However, each one of these schools has strategic issues and developmental problems, which must be dealt with rather quickly, rather than in due time. Media rankings are very useful when looking at "clusters" of certain schools. Like you have H/W/S, as you know in the top cluster, and you have CBS/NYU in another cluster. Within these areas, people have to pro-actively assess the situation, beyond the ranking information provided. This is your argument, which is also my contention. Your last comment about "specialization" is on target, and reveals the reason why NYU Stern has caught up to Columbia (check US News current rankings). NYU Stern owns the mindshare position in "Finance" here in new york, and only the curriculum's of UChicago GSB and Wharton are comparable in that area. In any case, you make some good points.

Even with your assertions, no one here has dis-proven me yet, so the stay away from alumni argument is weak. Some of the latest information about Tobin can be found on Stern's web site, which would not make such mention if Tobin wasn't up and coming. Do a search and see for yourself.

[Edited by G3XL on 04 Aug 2007]

guiseppe
MBA New York
Tue Jun 12, 2007 04:33 PM
No one has mentioned Wagner College. Can anyone tell me about the MBA program/reputation there?
masterXX
MBA New York
Thu Jun 14, 2007 05:20 PM
I don't know this school, and I didn't find it in the rankings. But it could still be a worthwhile school, since only a few select schools are ranked.

Besides, it's not accredited by the AACSB, which would be the one that counts most.

It has the two following accreditations, of which I can't judge the value: IACBE, ACBSP (which looks almost the same as AACSB, very confusing).
Maybe someone could comment on those two organizations?

Hyms
MBA New York
Tue Jun 19, 2007 05:22 PM
Hey hav got a score of 640 .. was earlier considerin top schools only but now wanna settle wid top 30 or so...i m consdering an mba from a university where there are good job prospects ...and university is recognised ...also where ther are higher chances of scol or merit fundin....

please gimme some info.
buktown
MBA MEdia Management New York
Tue Jul 24, 2007 09:46 PM
HI this is Dan,

Im going to disagree with you guys. I graduated from a small school Metropolitan College of New York. And, Columbia and NYU may have big names but none of the professors are media experts, movie directors or movie practioners. AT Metropolitan College of New York, the 2006 college president (Stephen R. Greenwald) and director and producer of movies like Dune, taught the class!

Not many people know about this program

The Metropolitan College of New York, MBA in Media Managment.
4 reasons this school could be better than the big colleges! (1) Professor Stephen R. Greenwald, created the program. He has run movie production and distribution companies. Some of the films in which he has been associated include: Dune, Conan the Barbarian, Blue Velvet, Crimes of the Heart, Manhunter and Author, Author. He is presently CEO of Odyssey Pictures Corporation and teaches one of the classes.

(2) All students go to a free 12 day study abroad trip (free hotel, plane, transportation, film festival passes, seminars etc,) to Europe as long as they are students of the MCNY program. Destinations have included the Cannes Film Festival or London and Paris to learn about world media.

(3) The program is completed in one year, 3 semesters a year!

(4) I graduated from this program, and can tell you, It was the best experience of my life and I got hired for Sony Pictures the moment I graduated 6/2007.

check out
www.mcny.edu or
www.mcny.edu/business/mediastudyabroad.php?mystudy…

Profile P.M.
Quote Edit

Reply to this post

jimson
Wed Apr 23, 2008 03:03 AM
I know the ranking list is:

1,Columbia
2,NYU
3,Fordham

MCNY4life
Thu May 01, 2008 07:38 PM
i currently attend the MBA in Financial service program at MCNY! and i heard great success stories from the Media management program at MCNY.

i attend MCNY...just for that reason...its a great small private school... probably a hidden gem in nyc colleges.

cant beat having a classroom of 20-25 students... i get the attention i need from the professors!

and did i tell you i will be graduating in a year! cant wait!
jeffrese
Wed Feb 24, 2010 04:25 PM
The Metropolitan College of New York MBA program is a waste of time and money. I can't believe they are still accredited. MCNY accreditation cheapens all higher learning facilities with legitimate accreditation. It's a business, not a school. All they care about is letting anybody enter as long as they have money or access to loans. Don't go there, or better yet, go there and tour the "campus" and decide for yourself. It's nothing more than a rip off factory that will take your money and hand you a worthless degree that will not help you get a job. Check out mcnymba(dot)com.
newton2
MBA Schools
Tue Oct 12, 2010 09:11 PM
You know, I'm a graduate of Hofstra's MBA program, and I can attest that it is a fine institution. I was afraid of the other programs in the city due to its non-collective nature with the students. So, in essence, don't rely on the rankings per se. Despite knowing what Hofstra's ranked at - in the end, I have a beautiful piece of paper on the wall, which was praised numerous times by employers and colleague alike; as they enjoyed my success as a human being. So if your looking for dollars per square inch after you graduate with a degree from a top-school, remember this, after a few years time, you have nothing to look forward to. So keep your options open, and be willing to explore your intentions, even if you do end up in a Columbia or NYU. Otherwise, the disservice is of your devaluation of self-respect and honor that went into completing a very challenging program. With much respect, yours truly, newton2

Reply to this post

Related Programs