FIND MBA - MBA Programs Wordwide

MBA Discussion Board

MBA Discussion Board > Europe > Which MSc's are better than pre-experience 'Freshers' MBAs? RSS Feed

Which MSc's are better than pre-experience 'Freshers' MBAs?

Duncan

Sat Nov 19, 2011 09:00 AM
I had an interesting message from someone on Find-MBA about pre-experience MSc's and I thought my reply might be useful for others. The other person wrote:
"I have done my bachelors degree in engineering and at present I am running my Dad's company. I feel that if I have more exposure I will be able to run it better. That's why I want to do a postgraduate course in the UK. I went through, researching a lot of colleges for their MBAs, but most good colleges want work experience. Then I came across the MSc. But I am not sure if an MSc degree will really help me."

Here is my reply:--

First, don't limit yourself to the UK. Business is international and, unless your Dad's firm is in the UK and does not export, you will benefit from an international education. MSc degrees are very well respected, especially from schools with international accreditation. There is a fairly new programme at London Business School, which has a top MBA programme, but will take a few years to appear in the rankings: www.london.edu/programmes/mastersinmanagement.html

The best-established MSc programmes in business are all ranked by the FT. Out of 70 programmes, 13 are taught in the UK. rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-management… The lowest fees are at non-UK public universities like Aarhus, Aalto, Cologne, Copenhagen, RSM/Erasmus, HEC Lausanne, Louvain, Maastricht, Mannheim, NHH, VSE Prague, St. Gallen, Solvay, Vienna and Warsaw. Those are some of the top MSc programmes worldwide and you can see from the salaries that they produce very high quality business managers. Some lower-cost schools are going up on price (like Stockholm and Kozminski) so these bargains won't be around for ever.

PS I updated this post to reflect the 2013 rankings. Please also read my post on Pre-experience masters in the USA www.find-mba.com/board/23411

[Edited by Duncan on 11 Oct 2013]

Show ProfileProfile P.M. Quote
Duncan

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:20 AM
The 2013 rankings are now at rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-management… Leeds and the LSE have rejoined the ranking, meaning that there are now 12 British schools and ESCP running top MSc's in the UK.
Duncan

Tue Dec 10, 2013 05:11 PM
I have written much about this www.find-mba.com/board/38133

[Edited by Duncan on 10 Dec 2013]

Reply to this post

Related Programs

Related Articles

Master in Management Programs Versus MBAs
Want to study business, but don't have work experience? An MSc or MiM might be right for you
By M. Filtz

More Articles