FIND MBA - MBA Programs Wordwide

MBA Discussion Board

MBA Discussion Board > Australia - New Zealand > Good Colleges for MBA in New Zealand RSS Feed

Good Colleges for MBA in New Zealand

karthik439
Wed Jun 02, 2010 09:42 PM
Hi ,
I am Karthik from India. I am planning to do my MBA from the Auckland University of Technology for the January 2011 intake. Can anyone let me know how good the university and is and the job opportunities after my MBA there .
It would be great if some one can let me know any info about other universities in new zealand

Thanks
K S Karthik
Show ProfileProfile P.M. Quote
manny
Thu Jun 10, 2010 08:19 AM
Hi Kartik, Otago MBA - University of Otago is a one of the highly ranked MBA programs in Australasia.
You can find all the info about the program on their website www.otagomba.co.nz/.
Regarding the MBA program, it has a very good mix of international students with healthy student teacher ratio.

Cheers
Manish

[Edited by manny on 10 Jun 2010]

Shaun_pal
Mon Jun 28, 2010 07:38 AM
Hi,

Does anyone has any idea about AIS St. Helens in NZ?
I am planning to apply to this university and it would be really helpful if anyone could guide me.
natchiram
Thu Jul 01, 2010 05:02 AM
Hi,

I have got an MBA offer from AIS. As far as I know it is not a university setup. It is a college which is offering a wide range of courses including MBA. Even I am in search of information about this institution. The consultancy people are recommending it to be a good instituon but we can't go with that alone. When I spoke to one of my friends in NZ he said that he is not aware of this name first of all. You can apply for AUT and Massey also but Massey offers only 25-26 months course. AUT seems to be a good university.
karthik439
Thu Jul 01, 2010 05:23 AM
Thanks a lot natchiram.. Any other info about AUT please let me know
puppy21
Thu Aug 05, 2010 06:18 AM
pls do keep me updated of your findings in universities,scholarship and placement.

[Edited by puppy21 on 12 Jan 2011]

Manick_33
Tue Oct 12, 2010 08:19 AM
Hi karthik,

If u want a career based on your MBA this country will not help. All the consultants are concerned about their commission. Ur chance of getting a job after your MBA is bleak. MAny Indian students have returned back without proper jobs. There is false propagation going on in India. If u want to build a career based on ur MBA My advice would be not to come to Newzealand as u dont have one here. U option could be singapore or work for CAT and other Business schools in India. In India oppurtunities are more. Please dont waste 15 lacs in MBA in NZL u will be a scape goat. You may ask who am I to tell about this I am a student doing MBA in AUT.
Nathan_otago
Thu Oct 14, 2010 03:05 AM
Hi Manick

The AUT MBA is 180 academic points, this compares to Otago MBA's (also in New Zealand) 300 points which can be completed in the same time-frame.

I can also confirm that Otago does not give any commission to any agents. Students come to do their MBA at Otago because it is an internationally recognised MBA.

[Edited by Nathan_otago on 17 Oct 2010]

Evan2007
Tue Oct 26, 2010 04:37 PM
"...Ur chance of getting a job after your MBA is bleak. MAny Indian students have returned back without proper jobs."

Uh, lots of MBA students have finished programs in recent years without landing jobs immediately - even in their home countries, and even at top schools.

What's the economy / job market like in NZ anyway?
Manick_33
Tue Oct 26, 2010 05:46 PM
Hi guys its a question of spending hard earned money in search for a future. We are talking about financially affluent persons who can afford a life style. I answered the question only from this perspective. Back home atleast u dont spend so much and for ur infos top business schools in India have always had 90% placements. And taking the economy definitely Newzealand is a small economy where it cannot support the MBA students that are completing their coarses. Please do your homework properly before replying. Please donot just reply through your head just for the sake.
Manick_33
Tue Oct 26, 2010 05:51 PM
Hi nathan,

I was talking about the job scenario and not about the standard. Definitely the degrees offered by the universities are well recognised and of no doubt its all of global standards. The agents in India show a green picture hiding the facts where the students make a huge bet by going into loans. I just wanted to tell about the job scenario not about the standard.

Hi Manick

The AUT MBA is 180 academic points, this compares to Otago MBA's (also in New Zealand) 300 points which can be completed in the same time-frame.

I can also confirm that Otago does not give any commission to any agents. Students come to do their MBA at Otago because it is an internationally recognised MBA.
Evan2007
Wed Oct 27, 2010 07:46 AM
Hi guys its a question of spending hard earned money in search for a future. We are talking about financially affluent persons who can afford a life style. I answered the question only from this perspective. Back home atleast u dont spend so much and for ur infos top business schools in India have always had 90% placements. And taking the economy definitely Newzealand is a small economy where it cannot support the MBA students that are completing their coarses. Please do your homework properly before replying. Please donot just reply through your head just for the sake.

Well, respectfully, I think we might be talking past each other. But good luck in India. There are undoubtedly good programs there, and they should get even more international with time.
nakshatra
Tue Nov 30, 2010 08:18 AM
Hi,

Please can any one help me whether MBA is really worth doing in AUT how about the part time jobs over there? is it really safe for female student? and also am planning to take my husband along with me on dependent viza to find out a job over there ...how about the jobs in IT.

[Edited by nakshatra on 30 Nov 2010]

karthik439
Tue Nov 30, 2010 08:37 AM
Hi Nakshatra ,
I have made a study about the colleges in New zealand and the most important thing --Job after MBA. All my research ended me in saying that Newzealand is not a good country for this.My sincere suggestion would be not to waste your time and money in newzealand . Simple to say taking your husband along with you will not be a good move at all. You can try for UK, ALL THE BEST

Regards
K S Karthik
nakshatra
Tue Nov 30, 2010 04:03 PM
Hi Karthik,

Thank u so much for ur information....kindly let me know whether u know anything of IT opp in newzealand.
karthik439
Tue Nov 30, 2010 05:50 PM
Hi ,
I dont have complete information on that .I have message you my email id.

Regards
K S Karthik

[Edited by karthik439 on 30 Nov 2010]

Nathan_otago
Tue Nov 30, 2010 08:29 PM
Hi Karthik,

Thank u so much for ur information....kindly let me know whether u know anything of IT opp in newzealand.

For the best information about jobs in New Zealand, check out this link to a site by the New Zealand Government for people interested in living in New Zealand. It provides a list of job skill sets needed in New Zealand plus a list of jobs for which there are critical shortages.

www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/skills-needed-in-new-zealand~18.ht…

I hope that helps.
prateek
Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:47 AM
Hi Karthik,

For the best information about jobs in New Zealand, check out this link to a site by the New Zealand Government for people interested in living in New Zealand. It provides a list of job skill sets needed in New Zealand plus a list of jobs for which there are critical shortages.

www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/skills-needed-in-new-zealand~18.ht…

I hope that helps.
serephina11
Thu Jan 27, 2011 09:58 AM
Hey

how is the 1 year Master of Professional Business Studies course in AUT?

[Edited by serephina11 on 27 Jan 2011]

Kirtikanth N
Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:24 AM

Okay let us say you are correct in regards of NZ economic capacity. But you are speaking something about CAT. Let us face the fact. Will you be able to crack CAT just as you did IELTS. Do you think it's so easy. Just imagine the population of India and number of competitors in CAT exam dude. If CAT was so easy everybody would have chosen CAT as their option but we must know our capacities to crack the exam. Even in India you would be spending approximately same amount of money as you are spending in NZ plus you are getting global exposure. I accept opportunities are more in India but a foreign degree would fetch you lot of points as per your career is concerned. In India B-Schools fees aren't less suppose if you take ISB - 2.2 million, in IIM's you will spending approximately 10 lakhs including. So what's the point in studying.. www.rediff.com/getahead/2008/feb/28msg.htm
sshruti0509
Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:34 AM
Hi,
i am Shruti from India. I have a work -ex of 2.6 yrs in IT.
I wanted to know about Job Opportunities after an mba from
New Zealand. Is it really worth if I want to come back to India after doing my mba?
Also can u suggest some other colleges where GMAT is
not mandatory.
Thanks
Shruti
akki.nit
Wed Jun 15, 2011 07:08 AM
Thanks a lot natchiram.. Any other info about AUT please let me know

Hi Kartik, Actually I wanted to thank you for suggesting us not to apply to New Zealand for an MBA program. I was just about to apply for AIS which my agent recommended me. Now I will try for UK.
akki.nit
Wed Jun 15, 2011 07:11 AM
Hi,

I have got an MBA offer from AIS. As far as I know it is not a university setup. It is a college which is offering a wide range of courses including MBA. Even I am in search of information about this institution. The consultancy people are recommending it to be a good instituon but we can't go with that alone. When I spoke to one of my friends in NZ he said that he is not aware of this name first of all. You can apply for AUT and Massey also but Massey offers only 25-26 months course. AUT seems to be a good university.

Even I was planning to apply for AIS which my agent suggested. But I have no idea how the collage is??
saraha
Thu Jul 28, 2011 08:38 PM
I am a kiwi so I thought I would offer everyone on here a local perspective. Regarding AIS, I have never heard of this institution and had to google it to find out what it was. It started as a english language school for international students and grew from that. The fact that it is not on my radar mean I would definitely not recommend you obtain an mba from this institution, it is not recognised locally. Also in recent years their have been some high profile news coverage about some appalling standards and rubber stamping of qualifications offered at certain foreign student only learning institutions, so lots of bad press for these types of institutions.

Secondly regarding AUT, I looked at doing an MBA last year and went along to a couple of classes with a friend who was studying. I can say I was not impressed. About half the students were foreign students which I have no problem with but I did have a problem with some of there english language skills. For some their language and vocabulary was just not up to scratch for undertaking a post graduate qualification. It held them back in terms of understanding the complexity of ideas and it held back the class in term of their ability to communicate articulately within the group. Secondly I wasn't that impressed with the local students either, I found them to overall of mediocre quality, I want to be in a program full of very sharp people not mediocre, because when they graduate you are put in the same bucket with them. If the graduates aren't of high quality then you qualification is dumbed down and not highly regarded in the workplace. I also went along to one Auckand Univesity MBA class and I found the standard of student to be a lot higher, and a higher standard of discussion within the class. Also access to the MBA from the post Grad Diploma requires a B+average or better so not just anyone can get into it, for AUT there was no restriction you could keep going as long as you passed and they said they passed over 95% of people, sound a bit like rubber stamping to me.

In the end I decided not to do an MBA as I couldn't see enough value for the investment. Instead I found a three month unpaid work trial/ experience in the new industry I wanting to move into, and completed several industry short course. I year later I now have a management position in that industry so I am happy with my decision. My friend who completed her MBA at AUT, earlier this year, has been trying to find a more senior position but has had no luck as of yet. She said generally the feedback regarding her brand new MBA has been, "that is all well and good, but where is your solid real life experience, in operations, senior management etc" Good luck with your decision.
LEDMAY
Tue Aug 16, 2011 07:39 PM
Hi Guys,

Firstly, thanks to each one who has contributed towards the post on MBA from NZ.

Due to certain pressures, I am wanting to enroll myself into MBA program in 2012 and thus one the consultant offered suggestion of Waikato or AUT for Feb'12 MBA admissions.

I have 6 years of experience in LED Industry in INDIA but no GMAT score on board. Though initially, reading about waikato accredition from AMBA made me feel confident but after reading many blogs subsequently, I am feeling discouraged on MBA from NZ.

It shall be very kind of you guys to address /highlight or throw more light to make a considerate decision on Waikato or AUT.